Sunday, March 25, 2012

March 25, 2012

It's 10 pm and I'm all packed and ready to start my adventure tomorrow morning.  The past three weeks, I've done little hiking, but have been very busy around the house and yard.  The amaryllis bulbs have all been planted and many are now sporting bloom stalks, but it will be at least a week before the earliest bloom, so I'll wait to enjoy them next year.

I've been busy trimming some 12' holly hedges back down to a more manageable 6' and have spread 5 cubic yards of mulch to help keep the weeds down in the flower beds this summer.

There are now 10 consecutively number boxes that Cheryl will mail to me at various points along the trail.  Each is addressed and the maps and various supplies have been distributed among them.  I have the addresses marked in my trail data book and will give try to give Cheryl a week or so's notice when I'm approaching my next mail stop.

I lined my backpack with heavy-duty trash compactor bags to try to keep everything dry on the trail.  I had everything pulled out of my pack yesterday and spent time this morning and evening stuffing everything back in.  I had been carrying a 40-42 lb pack during my most recent training hikes, and I expect I'll have somewhat more than that on my back when I leave Amicalola Falls State Park for the trail.  I tried the pack tonight and it didn't seem to bad, so I won't worry about it just yet.  Still, I don't really want to go put it  on the scale to see how heavy it is. 

I'll know soon enough if I can carry it, and it's too heavy I'll have the good folks at the Walasi-yi Center in Neels Gap, GA to help me go through it and send unnecessary items home.

The bus leaves Raleigh at 6:51 tomorrow morning and arrives in Atlanta at 2:30 pm.  Then I'll take the MARTA system to the North Springs Station where my shuttle from the Hiker Hostel will pick me up.  I spend Monday night with them, then get fed breakfast and should be heading up the trail Tuesday morning.

Thanks for the many kind words of support I've received recently.  It really does mean something to know so many people are pulling for you.

AYATORI

7 comments:

  1. Not sure if "happy trails" or "The happy wonderer" is the appropriate tune for the occasion. I am definitely looking forward to your updates along the way. Our best wishes and prayers for your journey. Am really proud of my big brother!! Have a great journey!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron,

      No surprise, another member of the bass section in choir and I were singing both of those yesterday. It's 5:30 here, and we'll be leaving in 30 minutes for the bus station. I've made another tour around the house, looking for what I may have forgotten. I think I have everything as much in order as I'm able -- except the garage to be cleaned, which will be awaiting my return.

      Delete
  2. I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF YOU OFTEN. I THINK HAPPY TRAILS IS THE MORE APPROPRIATE. AND WHAT TUNE WILL BE SAYING WHEN YOU JUST NEED TO PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER. REMINDS ME OF 1996 WHEN RACHEL ASKED IF THOMAS JEFFERSON WAS A FRIEND OF MOM'S!!! YOU ARE NOW ON MY FAVORITES LIST AND I WILL BE FOLLOWING THE TRAIL WITH THE OTHERS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS FOR THE LAST PHONE CALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you go fella, have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey all, for those that haven't heard Dad has made it through Neel Gap and called me last night from Low Gap. They're both in GA, but he's making great progress! While in Neel Gap Dad decided that his pack was just a little to heavy so Mom and I are expecting a package of stuff that he wasn't using to arrive sometime later this week. Hope a ligher pack makes the hill and mountain climbing easier for him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to get the update! Keep on hiking!

    ReplyDelete