Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April 3, 2012












Hello from Helen, GA.  This is the first chance I've had to write as there seemed not to be Internet access at Neels Gap.  If you've heard reports of heavy weather in northern GA today, rest assured that I'm safe and staying at a Best Western tonight.  My first real night off the trail in a week.  I've worked my way through 62 miles of tough up and down hills and am not making nearly the mileage that was on the 'proposed' schedule.  I'm hoping things will improve as my weight drops and my cardio fitness improves.  I did get some help at Neels Gap by sending home 6-8 lbs of gear that I wasn't using and so the past couple of days my pack has felt noticeably lighter.

There have been lots and lots of wildflowers on the trail, and I'll try to get back on the computer later tonight to upload them.  Haven't seen a bear, and about the only critter I've seen on the trail has been a skink that skittered across the rocks in front of me.

I hope to add more to this post tonight.

Love,
Jerome = Ayatori

Hiker Hostel 3-26-2012

Amicalola Falls Approach Trail 3-27-2012

Springer Mtn  3-27-2012
Trillium
 
Camping at Hawk Mtn 3-28-2012


White flowering shrub  (unidentified)

Mountain Crossing at Neels Gap 4-1-2012

View from Mountain Crossing deck 8am 4-1-2012

I'm not sure, fern crowns coming up near Blue Mtn  4-3-2012

8 comments:

  1. a small lizard-like reptile. we have the 5-striped variety around the yard in Cary, but this was a slightly different variety

    Jerome

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear from you, Jerome! We've been thinking of you lots, especially since we've been having some pretty significant thunderstorms around here. It sounds like you're making good progress, even if it's not following the proposed plan. Keep up the good work, and enjoy the journey!

    Leigh & Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you are covering ground (even if it's not as much as you'd like)... Love the pics, looking forward to seeing more !

      Delete
  4. You go fella. I wish I was there with you instead of this horrible place. Your photo looks like you were just in my cube!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeehaw! Looks like you're settling into the ebb and flow of trail life. I always thought it was sorta like traveling with the circus. Loved it! Great journal. Cheers my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are great! Looks like you having fun.

    Enjoy!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete