Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 19, 2012

Well I've been home for a week now, and am making plans to get back on the trail.  My left knee, which I injured some 40 years ago, has some arthritis in it.   But my family practitioner has cleared me to head back to the trail and give it another shot.

Cheryl has graciously volunteered to drive me out to Erwin, TN on Friday April 27.  There I'll meet up with Halfspeed, the 71 y/o gentleman I'd been hiking with for about 10 days, and we'll resume our northbound trek.

In the meantime, I've been doing some bicycling on the local rails-to-trails to try to keep my aerobic conditioning up, and puttering around in the yard and garden.

The swelling in my knee is mostly gone, and it's not causing me any particular discomfort.

I am taking advantage of my home stay, to try to reduce my pack weight further.  I'm about to switch-out a long sleeve shirt that I only wore a few times in town, for a second synthetic short sleeved shirt (5 oz reduction), plan on purchasing a lighter and cheaper sleeping mat (15 oz less), and will be leaving my plastic bear-proof container at home and converting to a stuff sack to hang (2 lb 5 oz less).    I spent the day going through my entire pack and weighing each item individually - something  I probably should have done earlier -- and then checking my options at REI.com for lighter weight alternatives.  About the only  other thing that would really make a huge difference would be leaving my tent at home and sleeping in a bivy sac anytime a shelter wasn't available, but just looking at them made me slightly claustrophobic -- still with about a 4 lb reduction in pack weight it's tempting.

I'm looking forward to getting back on the trail and seeing if I can complete more of the trail without aggravating my knee.

Jerome = AYATORI

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic!! We look forward to following your trek once again. As always, our thoughts and prayers are with you for a safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to read that! Way to go!

    Reinier

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you will be back on the trail soon. We are in Roanoke now and today is an all day rain, hope you do not have too many days like this. Bob S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine that you are back on the trail now had you thought of the individual activated ice packs. I know they will add weight but may keep the knee going. I have been thinking of you a lot and I have your back just like you have mine. Janet

    ReplyDelete