Thursday, February 2, 2012

January 31, 2012

I hiked the Moore's Wall Loop trail at Hanging Rock State Park today.  The trail is only about 4 miles, but includes about 600 ft of elevation gain over about a mile of the trail.  It was a beautiful sunny day with a high of about 65F, though the winds at the top of Moore's Knob were pretty brisk and cooling after the sweat shed on the way up.  The path down is partially 'paved' with stone steps.  I counted (Am I my mother's son?) 607 actual stone steps on the way down.  Coincidentially, I'm told that the approach trail to Springer mountain has 604 wooden steps on the way up.  No blisters or aching knees to report.

The photo is a panoramic shot from Moore's Knob.  The small peaks to the left are a strange double of Pilot Mountain that are an artifact of my 'stitching' program.  In the far distance, you see the Blue Ridge on the horizon.  That's where I hope to be this spring.  Less than 2 months to go before my March 26 departure for Atlanta.  I made reservations for the shuttle from Atlanta to Springer today.


Panorama from Moore's Knob  Jan 31, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment